Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Proud Father


Pageants. Yes, you’ve heard it all…pageant moms, the drama, the child vanity... I’d almost venture to say the whole gig is a little overplayed in the media. So, I’m not going to waste your time talking about mid-western stage moms or 4-year old spray tans…I’m here to talk about pageant FATHERS.

It was a lovely Wednesday night—Brittany and I were settled in to some post-work television when we stumbled across the infamous Toddlers & Tiaras (A modern day example of parenting at its absolute worst). My fascination for pageant fathers grew quickly as I learned about Weldon (father of 4-year old Jackie) and his pronounced enthusiasm for his daughter’s upcoming pageant. A short description of Weldon--He has an appallingly greasy comb-down and holds a very similar appearance to the man who collects ticket stubs at a Texas rodeo--Not shocking for a man who passionately supports his pre-school daughter’s entry into beauty pageants.

2 words: Stage. Dad. To be honest, I don’t think they get enough credit in the fame world. Luckily for pageant fathers, they don’t get pigeonholed as living vicariously through their daughters (unlike mama dearest). I’m guessing that pageant prize money is really the motivating factor here. But after purchasing the glittery obnoxious outfits, the press-on nails, and the gas to drive the ol' Dodge Ram van cross country…I can't imagine there being any profitable gain (parental pride boost aside).

Weldon-- you keep up that fervent passion and I wish Jackie the best of luck in all of her future pageant endeavors.

No comments:

Post a Comment